Salvia hispanica, commonly known as Chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. The sixteenth-century Codex Mendoza provides evidence that it was cultivated by the Aztec in pre-Columbian times; economic historians have suggested it was as important as maize as a food crop. Ground or whole Chia seeds still are used in Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina, Mexico, and Guatemala for nutritious drinks and as a food source.
Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet. They are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain.
Here are 11 health benefits of chia seeds that are supported by human studies.
1. High in Antioxidants.
2. Contains five times more calcium than Milk.
3. Contains seven times more Vitamin C than Orange.
4. Contains three times more Iron than Spinach.
5. Contains twice the Potassium content of Banana.
6. Food for Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails.
7. Super food for the Brain and Heart.
8. Packed with Omega-3 fatty Acids.
9. Maintains Healthy Bones and Teeth.
10. Great source of Protein for Vegetarians.
11. Improve Heart Health.
Read more about Health & Diet Tips
Read also : 6 Best Herbal Teas That Make You Healthier