A Field Guide You will be astonished to learn that now you can purchase a small tractor which is exclusively intended to deal with almost any job you can think of. The two extremely common types of tractors happen to be general purpose tractors or row crop tractors and utility tractors.
- Utility tractors are usually short and near to the ground. They are intended for drawing and powering tools like hay mowers, disk harrows, balers and trailers. These tools are connected to a lifting mechanism at the back of the tractor. A utility tractor is a great investment if you have no intention to go for multi-acre crop farming.
- In contrast, general purpose tractors can carry out nearly all the tasks that utility tractors are able to face, still it is intended to take care of row crops. These tractors possess superior ground clearance compared to the utility types, and this feature helps them to bestride row crops without tampering the plants underneath them, while farming the field.
General purpose tractors can be both single-row and multiple-row machines. The single-row types obviously are smaller – normally their front pair of wheels is along the lines of their rear set. However, multiple-row models at times make use of a “tricycle” planning, placing the front tires close together. The bigger machines can accomplish short job of large level fields, but they are comparatively awkward and hard to maneuver. The arrangement of tricycle wheels is slightly less stable in comparison with the “four-square” design of single-row types.
An Experience of “Lifting”
One aspect that needs to be checked prior to buying is the lifting system of the tractor. The lifting system can either be a spring or a pump-pushed hydraulic system. If you choose the latter type of machine, investigate the system cautiously and look for leaks. Be careful about a tractor that reveals a great deal of hydraulic-fluid.
Certain row crop tractors contain double hydraulic cylinders. They are useful because they enable the operator of the tractor to adjust the depth of both front and rear cultivators if needed. Besides, pay attention to a machine that has a coupling of hydraulic hose, because this aspect will enable you to make use of several more newly produced hydraulic tools.
Aspects to be considered while buying small tractors for sale
When you have agreed on the attributes you require and hence narrowed down the list of suitable tractors, you are prepared to go into the market of small tractors for sale.
- Before making the purchase, take your time to get an idea of costs in your region by going through the classified ads for a couple of weeks and paying a visit to the used machines from large numbers of neighboring dealers. When you do so, keep in mind that the price you pay for small tractors for sale bought as second hand will be less than that of any new or used machine purchased from a dealer. However, even older machines procured from dealers of good reputation normally go through certain renovation during their sojourn in the workshop.
- If you are purchasing a rummage-sale machine, deal with the buying in the same way as you would do in case of a secondhand car or motor vehicle. Examine the tires as the rear wheel replacements could cost you a fortune, and make sure that the engine holds good compression.
- To start the tractor drive it in the neighborhood while listening cautiously for any unfamiliar noises. Set it through all its steps to find how it will cope with the tasks you will expect it to perform at the later stage.
While choosing small tractors for sale, above mentioned factors are most important.