The success of any business or organization depends widely on its managers. Effective and proper coaching is very helpful in today’s competitive environment. There had been many instances where managers have proved to be great leaders and assets to their organization through effective coaching.
Management coaching is the process of improving thought process of an individual so that they can achieve their goals, be quick in making decisions and get to choose the perfect option when it comes to solving dilemmas in the organization. A manager, through effective coaching knows what to do and how to do it.
Here are some Management coaching tips that will help you to become better leaders:
- Rather than just ordering, be attentive and ask queries : Mostly it can be seen that the managers are too busy telling employees what to do and what not to do. They don’t tend to ask questions which results in gap between the manager and its employees. Great leaders ask great questions and it further leads to great conversation which then acts as the problem solver.
- Listen before you react or respond: Listening takes an integral place in management coaching training as listening skill is very important. It helps you to understand the situation better and it then makes you understand if you should act as a coach and guide to your employees or act as a manager and take an important decision. Without listening and without understanding the cause of a problem you might misjudge an employee.
- Use open ended questions: Be in a practice of asking open ended question and not just the ones in ‘yes’ or ‘No’. Open ended questions give the options to the speaker to discuss their problems and concerns.
- Encouragement and empower: Management coaching teaches managers to work with the employees by forming a healthy or one on one relationship. This way the performance and end result would be better. Your employees must have lot of questions and concerns which are vital for you to know. In a healthy manager employee relationship, an employee would never shy away from asking the right questions and discussing the concerns.
- Keep yourself updated: The success of a manager is determined when he commits to stay updated with the latest skills and work on improving the areas where he lacks. He should always lead by examples. It is important to show your employees that you care. Do not make them feel that you just think about the organization. Show them that you are equally interested in their career and professional accomplishments.
- Question Back to get their ideas: When someone brings a problem and asks you “How can I solve it?” immediately ask them how do they think they can solve it? If you like their ideas, appreciate them. This brings great learning opportunity and you might end up getting an answer that is best for the organization.
- Positive Approach: An integral part of management coaching is the optimistic attitude of the manager. A positive approach towards situation helps in motivating the subordinates. It also boosts their morale. On the other hand, half of the battle is lost if the manager itself has a negative approach towards things.
- Delegation of authority: The manager should keep a balance between authority and responsibility. Delegation of authority means giving the powers and right to take important decisions on a certain situation. A manager should know who he should assign a particular task or responsibility.
Though there are many other important skills and competencies that could have been a part of this list above, the above-mentioned points if followed, can be very fruitful to an organization. Management coaching also helps in employee retention, a better performance and improvement of skills. A successful organization is one where manager and its employees work as a team.