It is imperative for certain industries and manufacturing units to make use of pneumatic tubing or hosing. It is particularly required where actuators, tools, devices and valves need pressurized air for varied industries works. However, since every industrial requirement is different, there is a wide range of sizes and types of pneumatic tubes available in the market. It is the engineers who determine the specific requirement of the tubes in a particular industry depending on their uses.
Pneumatic tubing is a better economic alternative in comparison to hosing. A wide variety of materials are used for manufacturing pneumatic systems –
- Polyethylene Polyurethane
- Thermoplastic Rubber
Each material that is used in manufacturing a pneumatic tube has its own unique features. A common feature that is observed in all the materials is their high resistance level. Nylon is the most commonly used material. Whereas PVC is extensively used for medical purposes and FDA approved industries, Polypropylene holds out to UV radiations and is mostly used for outdoor applications.
Why are Pneumatic Tubing Systems Preferable?
Flexible pneumatic tubing is the most preferred option selected by industries to connect pneumatic valves to actuators, valves, and cylinders. Hosing stands as the second option. Since the flexible pneumatic tubing is highly demanded in a diverse range of industries, manufacturers and providers of pneumatic tubing have to keep up with the requirements. A wide variety of tube sizes, dimensions, materials etc are essential to meet the demands of the industries.
- The pneumatic tubing is also constructed of rigid tubing other than flexible tubing material.
- While hoses are referred by inside diameter, tubes are referred by their outside diameter.
- Most pneumatic tubes used in the industries are less than 1-in in diameter.
Nylon Pneumatic Tubing
Owing to its advantages, Nylon pneumatic tubing is extensively used by the industries. It is specifically light, rugged, corrosion resistant as well as abrasion resistant engineering plastic. For industrial usage, the manufacturers and providers mostly demanded the nylon pneumatic tubing which are nylon 12 and nylon 11. While Nylon 11 is specifically chosen for food grade usages being FDA approved, Nylon 12 is basically used for industrial purposes is comparatively inexpensive.
There are numerous reasons why nylon pneumatic tubing is expansively used in not only FDA approved but other industries as well.
- It has a prominent quality of elasticity, which helps the nylon pneumatic tubes to withstand repeated flexing even after long periods of use. It hardly shows any sign of fracture or abrasion.
- In industrial requirements where pneumatic tubes are particularly required for retractable coils nylon tubes.
- Nylon is also popularly known to offer high impact resistance to sub-freezing temperatures as well. This makes them suitable for use in industries where the usage of pneumatic tubes is done in freezing temperatures.
- The low rate of moisture absorption by the nylon tubes helps it to hold on to their natural dimensions and maintain their dimensional stability over time as well.
- It finds extensive usage in air distribution as well as in straight line pipe applications.
- Among many other positive aspects of nylon pneumatic tubes, one prominent quality is its high end working pressure endurance capability.
- It has a high-end chemical resistance which increases its use in chemical plants and industries where chemicals are an integral part of the production.
Though every material that is used to build pneumatic tubes has its own set of properties, nylon is especially preferred for a wide range of industrial purposes. Thus, the production of nylon tubes is comparatively higher.