The leakage is a serious problem that can occur in any pipeline transporting liquid or gas from one place to another. These leakages may cause immense loss to the resources passing through these defective pipes, and hence demands immediate repair. Accurate leak detection is very important for all households as well as for the commercial organizations. The damage in the public pipelines often occurs due to the excavation of nearby sites during construction purposes. The corrosion of age-old pipes is another vital reason for leakage in many occasions. However, now a lot of detection systems are applied for identifying the leakages in the pipes.
Most Commonly Used Leak Detection Systems for Commercial Purposes
- The oldest method of leak detection is to check meter of the pipeline very minutely. The experts examine the fluid pressure, temperature and the flow rate of the liquid or gas through the pipe, to ascertain the problematic point of the pipe. A mechanical sensory device may also be put to use for locating the exact leaking spot throughout the pipeline and for detecting the change in fluid pressure at the perfect leaking point.
- If the concerned pipeline is transporting hydrocarbon gases that are used as fuel for cooking; the expert professionals utilize special video cameras for detecting the presence of such gases in the air. This camera can find out even slightest volumes of hydrocarbons released within the range of the camera, thus zeroing on the exact spot of leakage.
- The latest technique called Pressure-Wave method is applied to record the negative refraction wave caused due to the leakage at a certain point of the pipeline, as the leaking spot experiences much lesser pressure as compared to the rest of the pipe.
- Different physical and mathematical laws are utilized for high standard leak detection in the pipelines, which are collectively termed as Real Time Transient Model or in short, RTTM. Various physical features of the flow of fluid or gas are noted down to calculate the approximate place of leakage. There are different instruments that are applied for noting down all the required readings, which are then put together for mathematical calculations.
- The use of specially trained hound dogs is an effective and easy method that is widely preferred for leak detection in all areas. These dogs can easily sniff the presence of the gas or liquid leaking out from the pipe and also help in identifying the exact points of leakage. These dogs help in locating the leakage of pipelines even in the remotest areas.
- The digital technology has given rise to the digital method of putting wireless sensors within the soil to detect the presence of hydrocarbons, mainly in case the pipelines are carrying these chemicals in a liquid or gaseous state. According to the advanced digital technology, the entire pipeline may be transformed into a sensor for spotting leak detection at specific points. The digital sensors may also be used outside the pipelines for the detection of the leaking of gas or liquid at any particular point.
The well trained professional agencies who provide leak detection services to the commercial clients, combined with the plumbing work. Hence, a commercial owner can get the benefits of both plumbing and leakage identifying services together, by paying for one service only. There are some agencies that provide world-class services to their clients by accurately detecting the leakages in a pipeline. Even the domestic house owners can hire services for detecting leakages at their plumbing systems and save the home from damages caused by water leakages.