Following are the some of the important Indian Railway Facts:
1. The total distance covered by the 14,300 trains on the Indian Railways everyday, equals three & half times the distance to moon.
2. The first train on Indian soil ran between Bombay and Thane on the 16th of April 1853.
3. Indian Railway has about 63,028 route kms. of track.
4. Indian Railway employs about 1.55 million people
5. It carries over 13 million passengers & 1.3 million tones of freight everyday.
6. It runs about 14,300 trains daily.
7. Indian Railway has about 7,000 railway stations.
8. The longest platform in the world is at Kharagpur and is 2,733 ft. in length.
9. Nehru Setu on Sone River is the longest Railway bridge.
10. 42 Railway companies operated in the country before independence.
11. Electric Locomotives are manufactured at Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, Chittaranjan.
12. Coaches are manufactured at ICF/Chennai, RCF/Kapurthala and BEML/Bangaluru.
13. The national Rail Museum at New Delhi was set-up in 1977.
14. People Employed in Indian Railway are about 1.6 million.
15. Stations across State Lines are Navapur (Maharashtra and Gujarat) and Bhawani Mandi (Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan).
16. Classes of travel on Indian Railway: Ist AC, 2nd AC, 3rd AC, AC Chair Car IInd sleeper & IInd ordinary.
17. Railway Station with all the Three Gauges is Siliguri Railway Station.
[table id=2 /]