Customer service representatives armed with amazing customer service skills, are the face and voice of the company. They are those unsung heroes who don’t need a cape yet can very effectively solve our problems, be it technical like using a free helpdesk ticketing system or any people issues. There have been many instances when they had put a smile on the most unexpected customers faces.
Let us share 13 heart-warming stories of how customer service had put a smile on customers faces.
- Zappos – A woman after surgery had lost feelings in her foot. She ordered different shoes to check which one fitted her the best. On requesting to return the other shoes, she stated her reason. Very soon Zappos surprised her with a bouquet and a VIP membership for her and her family with free shipping.
- Tommee tippee – Any parent of a child knows how stubborn kids can be at times. A parent of a special needs child named Ben urged Tomme tippee to remake a sipper cup that Ben liked. The cup model had been discontinued by the company. As Ben would not use any other cup and had gotten so badly dehydrated that the parent went on urging. On coming across the story Tommee tippee remade 500 sipper cups that they had discontinued earlier.
- United Airlines – A man by the name of Drake was on his way to see his dying mother. His first flight got delayed and it was most likely he would miss his connecting flight. Anticipating he would never see his mother, he broke down. The airline staff on coming to know of his situation led the captain of the next flight delay so that he would reach on time to see his mother. He successfully got a chance to see his mother.
- Ritz-Carlton -They are known for amazing customer service. When a concerned parent whose child had left his beloved plush giraffe in the hotel, made an unusual request, Ritz-Carlton complied. The parent had asked if they can send some pictures of the toy taking a vacation in the hotel. The father had earlier made up the story to assure his heart-broken son. The family received a package with happy journey photos of Joshie the giraffe along with other goodies and of course the giraffe.
- Wendy’s – A picture taken showing a Wendy’s employee holding an umbrella which he removed from a nearby table, for an elderly gentleman. It was raining copiously and the employee ensured that the aged customer didn’t get wet.
- Netflix- They have an innovative take on customer service. An epic chat exchange was shared by a customer. The exchange was hilarious. Andthe willingness of the employee to go along the role play with the customer made it totally awesome customer service experience.
- Valve software – They have amazing customer service. Their inspiration comes from their CEO Gabe Newell. When a gaming fan of Valve software asked if he could receive an autograph from Gabe for his birthday, he actually received a signed Portal mouse pad by Gabe and a copy of the book The Sacrifice signed by Valve employees.
- J.Crew – When a customer had applied a coupon and accidentally cancelled the order, he sought help. The customer rep helped him out even when he failed to call the following day. The customer rep helped the customer pick similar options at closest prices and at checkout he reapplied the original coupon.
- Netbook – When a netbook owned by an elderly woman was not working, she called the customer service for help. The customer rep bypassed rules of getting the product send in for replacement and directly got it exchanged. Not just that, the customer rep helped the woman reset her password and download Skype so she could stay in touch with her daughter stationed in Hawaii and deployed son-in-law. The customer rep received a thank you bear and a card from the grateful family.
- Brydge – They are suppliers of quality iPad keyboard provider. When a customer requested for quicker delivery, faster than the usual way. The company responded. She not only got her keyboard before her flight but she also received a 10% discount.
- New Jersey waitress – A young waitress covered the bill of a firefighter and wrote a thank you note to the firefighters for doing an amazing job everyday by saving lives. The firefighters also reciprocated and helped her raise money for her quadriplegic father.
- McDonald’s – A cashier left his cash register during rush hour to help an elderly gentleman cut and eat his meal. This act of kindness was observed by another restaurant goer who shared it on social media. The simple act was highly appreciated by all.
- Panera Bread – They generally make their famous clam chowder soup on Fridays. But when a customer requested a special order for his dying grandmother, Panera Bread happily obliged. They also added cookies to the order. As fate would have it the grandmother had her favorite soup from Panera Bread as her last meal. Needless to say family is extremely grateful to Panera Bread.
Customer service can truly make a difference not just for the brand but it can impact lives of people. Customers are highly appreciative of measures that customer service takes from time to time to make them feel special.