Termites can affect the integrity of the home and damage the structure of the house. But what are termites? Termites are best described as wood destroying insects. There are several ways by which a homeowner can control the infestation of termites. For instance, if you have an older home, make sure that any wood near the foundation of your home is replaced. Termite control is important as these insects can damage the wood and cause the wood to become weak.
There are over 300 species of termites found in Australia. The main ones are classified as subterranean termites as they spend most of their time underground. They are the most damaging insects of wood as they can cause significant damage to the property. It is difficult to detect their presence and typically they can cause the damage even before they are seen. Knowing the species is important as the method of its control would be accordingly. The top termite species are:
- Mastotermes Darwiniensis
- Coptotermes Species
- Schedorhinotermes Species
- Nasutitermes Species
- Heterotermes Species
The whole house or property should be thoroughly inspected by a professional to detect the signs of termites. Here are few common signs of termites in your home or business.
- Walls – Termites consume cellulose which is found in timber within the walls, so if you see visible cracks on the internal walls, then it could be a sign of termite.
- Floors – Termites can damage the laminate flooring and also skirting boards. The floor of your house can become spongier due to the termite activity.
- Ceiling – Cracks on ceilings and cornices are signs of termite activity. Wooden ceilings and beams are at more risk of damage.
- Foundation – If the foundation is made of concrete, termites cannot eat concrete, but they can still squeeze into any crack within these concrete blocks and damage the floor joists. It is recommended to lay a chemical termite barrier underneath the concrete slab so that the termites do not travel through the foundation cracks.
- Windows/Doors – If the doors and windows have become difficult to open and also the frames are irregular, then it is an indication that the windows and doors are infested with termites.
- Frass – Termite droppings, even though they do not cause any damage, but they are an indication of the presence of termites.
If anytime you discover termites, it is important to call a professional termite control company right away. A professional company can assess the situation and recommend the best termite treatment.
The Top Methods of Termites Treatment are Mentioned Below:
#1. Soil Treatment – Subterranean termites mostly live in the soil, so this treatment of soil acts as a treatment barrier. Firstly, a trench is dug around the foundation and then the soil is treated with a termiticide. After this, the trench is refilled. This type of treatment not only kills the termites in the house, but it also helps to prevent future termite infestations.
#2. Wood Treatment – This treatment involves the use of surface sprays, injected sprays and foams. Termite control professionals make use of these to kill existing termites and also to prevent future ones. Borate wood treatment is used to prevent termite infestations and also to eliminate any existing termites. Surface sprays are used when the house is in its construction phase whereas wood injections and foams are used once the home is built.
#3. Bait Treatment Systems – This is one of the best ways for termite control. In this, the pest and termite control professional will install bait stations around the home and then monitor the stations. Through this, the home is protected against both current and future infestations. This is one of the most effective termite control treatment method for eliminating termites.
These are some of the most effective and standard ways of protecting your home and business from termites.